S.P.E.A.K.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
S.P.E.A.K.

We are the Society for the Promotion of Education and Advancement of Knowledge.

+4
Vicky
Sophie
Vera
Harald
8 posters

What have we learnt today?

Melissa

What have we learnt today? Empty What have we learnt today?

Post  Melissa Mon 30 Apr 2018, 16:05

[geography] The Devil’s Appendix in Snowdonia is a waterfall.

This is what I’ve just learnt. Today’s “Tipping Point” winner correctly guessed the answer to a question about this on his way to winning the jackpot, getting the big counter out with just six counters.
    Harald

What have we learnt today? Empty Re: What have we learnt today?

Post  Harald Mon 30 Apr 2018, 16:33

[biochemistry] Rhubarb leaves have a high concentration of oxalic acid.

This is what I’ve learnt today by reading about carboxylic acid in The Penguin Dictionary of Botany.
    Ian

Post  Ian Mon 30 Apr 2018, 16:59

[politics] Lenín Moreno was elected President of Ecuador in 2017.

This is what I’ve just learnt. One of today’s contestants on “The Chase” correctly answered a question on this in the course of outrunning the chaser Shaun Wallace on a high offer of £24 000.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Mon 30 Apr 2018, 17:41

[sports] The former Arsenal footballer Ray Parlour is nicknamed “the Romford Pelé”.

This is what I learned today by watching “Eggheads” – though I did vaguely remember that Parlour was born in Romford.

Ian

Post  Ian Mon 07 May 2018, 11:37

[economics] A self-employed person takes responsibility for all the debts incurred in the course of running his or her business.

This is what I’ve learnt today by reading about sole trader in the Collins Gem Business Studies Basic Facts.
    Harald

Post  Harald Tue 08 May 2018, 17:33

[materials science] The synthetic material kevlar was originally developed for use in making tyres.

I learned this on “The Chase” today.
    Sophie

Post  Sophie Wed 09 May 2018, 17:21

[physics] The phenomenon of quantum phase transition may hold the key to the invention of room-temperature superconductors.

This is something I’ve learnt today by watching a YouTube video by Physics Girl, Are machines better at quantum physics than humans?.
    Harald

Post  Harald Fri 11 May 2018, 17:34

[anatomy] A rhytidectomy is a facelift.

This is something I’ve just learnt on “Eggheads”.
    Ian

Post  Ian Tue 15 May 2018, 17:34

[modern history] Harold Wilson was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom when Richard Nixon became President of the United States of America (20 January 1969).

This is something I’ve just learnt on “Eggheads”.
    Harald

Post  Harald Wed 16 May 2018, 12:43

[biochemistry] Digitonin can be obtained from foxglove (Digitalis purpurea).

This is what I’ve learnt today by reading about cardiac glycoside in The Penguin Dictionary of Botany.
    Sophie

Post  Sophie Wed 30 May 2018, 17:03

[physics] The study of the electrical and magnetic properties of solid-state materials has ramifications for electronic technology.

This is what I’ve just learnt by reading about condensed-matter physics in The New Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought.
    Vicky

Post  Vicky Thu 31 May 2018, 16:41

[linguistics] The language spoken in Palestine at the time of the New Testament was related to Syriac.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about Aramaic in The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics. According to its author, Peter Matthews, Syriac is a Late Aramaic language; Wikipedia on the other hand has it as a dialect of Middle Aramaic.
    Vera

Post  Vera Thu 31 May 2018, 17:47

Jesus would have spoke Aramaic.
    Harald

Post  Harald Thu 31 May 2018, 17:58

[biology] The tough carbohydrate forming the cell walls of green plants is indigestible to humans but a herbivore can digest it with the help of symbiotic mirco-organisms in its digestive tract.

This is something I already know but have just “learnt” anyway by reading about cellulose in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 4, "The nature and origin of life”, of the section LIVING THINGS in Volume 1, THE WORLD OF NATURE, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Vera

Post  Vera Thu 31 May 2018, 18:06

[mythology] The son of Iapetus and Thornax cared for Iphicles and was killed by Artemis.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about Bouphagus (Βουφάγος) in The Penguin Dictionary of Classical Mythology.
    Melissa

Post  Melissa Thu 31 May 2018, 20:41

[biology] Some flowering plants such as wild onions do not produce flowers, developing bulb-like buds on their stems instead.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about bulbil in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 5, “World of plants”, of the section LIVING THINGS in Volume 1, THE WORLD OF NATURE, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Harald

Post  Harald Thu 31 May 2018, 21:52

[medical biology] Exposure to asbestos can lead to the formation of pleural plaques, diffuse pleural thickening, and pleural effusions, among other complications.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about asbestos-related pleural disease in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Melissa

Post  Melissa Mon 04 Jun 2018, 04:27

[geology] Troutstone contains the minerals plagioclase and olivine, the latter usually altered to greenish serpentine.

This is what I’ve just learnt by reading about the igneous rock troctolite in the section “Rocks” of Minerals, Rocks & Fossils by A. C. Bishop, A. R. Woolley, and W. R. Hamilton.
    Harald

Post  Harald Mon 04 Jun 2018, 13:48

[medical biology] In large numbers, the parasitic worm Ascaris lumbricoides can cause intestinal obstruction.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about ascariasis in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Vera

Post  Vera Mon 04 Jun 2018, 15:00

[religion] Prayer and fasting are observed on Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about confession in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 14, “Religions of the world”, of the section THE HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT in Volume 2, THE STUDY OF MAN, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Ian

Post  Ian Tue 05 Jun 2018, 16:35

[economics] Goods arriving at a country for re-export may be stored in situ without passing through customs.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about entrepôt in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 19, “Economics and trade”, of the section THE HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT in Volume 2, THE STUDY OF MAN, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Melissa

Post  Melissa Wed 06 Jun 2018, 10:15

[geology] Rock fragments that are intermediate in size between pebbles and boulders are generally rounded in shape.

This is what I’ve just learnt by reading about cobble in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 2, “Earth and its resources”, of the section THE PHYSICAL UNIVERSE in Volume 1, THE WORLD OF NATURE, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Harald

Post  Harald Sat 23 Jun 2018, 10:32

[biology] Any particular sample of DNA contains the same number of adenosine groups as thymine, and the same number of cytosine as guanine groups.

This is something I already know but have just “learnt” anyway by reading about Chargaff, Erwin (1905–[2002]) in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 4, "The nature and origin of life”, of the section LIVING THINGS in Volume 1, THE WORLD OF NATURE, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Melissa

Post  Melissa Sat 23 Jun 2018, 11:44

[ecology] Heather and some rhododendrons cannot grow on calcareous soil, preferring instead peaty or acidic soil.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about calcifuge in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 5, "World of plants”, of the section LIVING THINGS in Volume 1, THE WORLD OF NATURE, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Harald

Post  Harald Tue 26 Jun 2018, 16:25

[biochemistry] Tomatoes get their red colour from the pigment lycopene.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about carotene in The Penguin Dictionary of Botany.
    Ian

Post  Ian Wed 04 Jul 2018, 12:12

[numismatics] The kina is the unit of currency in the country where the creole language Tok Pisin is spoken.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading the information on Papua New Guinea (Independent State of Papua New Guinea) in the subsection on countries of the world in the section on geographical information of The Times Mini Atlas of the World.
    Harald

Post  Harald Wed 04 Jul 2018, 12:15

[medical biology] Some respiratory diseases are caused by a genus of microscopic fungi.

This is something I learned today by reading about Aspergillus in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Vera

Post  Vera Fri 06 Jul 2018, 17:05

[religious philosophy] The belief in the non-existence of God or gods is sometimes thought to be more dogmatic than mere suspension of belief in the question on the existence of such a being or beings.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about atheism in The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy.
    Harald

Post  Harald Fri 06 Jul 2018, 17:37

[medical biology] If brain cells are starved of oxygen for more than four minutes or so, they will die.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about asphyxia in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Melissa

Post  Melissa Sat 07 Jul 2018, 12:59

[ecology] Some flowers give off a strong odour of rotting meat so as to attract certain insects, which can pollinate them.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about carrion flowers in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 5, "World of plants”, of the section LIVING THINGS in Volume 1, THE WORLD OF NATURE, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Harald

Post  Harald Sat 07 Jul 2018, 13:07

[biochemistry] Mercury(I) chloride (H2Cl2) is used in ointment for its antiseptic properties, and has been used as in medicine as a purgative.

This is something I learned just now by reading about calomel in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 3, "Matter and energy”, of the section LIVING THINGS in Volume 1, THE WORLD OF NATURE, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Sophie

Post  Sophie Sun 08 Jul 2018, 21:11

[physics] If two metal plates a small distance apart are connected to a battery, one to one terminal and the other to the other terminal, one plate will become positively charged and the other negatively charged.

This is something I have just learnt by reading about capacitor in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 3, "Matter and energy”, of the section LIVING THINGS in Volume 1, THE WORLD OF NATURE, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Harald

Post  Harald Wed 11 Jul 2018, 15:21

[medical biology] Severe lack of protein in one’s diet can lead to kwashiorkor.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about deficiency disease in the glossary of essential information in Chapter 9, “The human body”, of the section THE HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT in Volume 2, THE STUDY OF MAN, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge.
    Melissa

Post  Melissa Mon 23 Jul 2018, 18:01

[mineralogy] Pigeon’s blood is a variety of ruby.

I learned this just now in the final part of “The Chase”.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Sat 22 Sep 2018, 11:26

[films] The “1987 John Hughes film starring Steve Martin and John Candy (6,6,3,11)” is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I learned this just now while trying the Jumbo General Knowledge Crossword in the i newspaper at The Mill, with the help of two fellow volunteers. One of them also got “1977 film that stars John Travolta as Tony Manero (8,5,5)” – which I should have got myself, if only Saturday Night Fever had come to my head.

Melissa

Post  Melissa Sat 13 Oct 2018, 18:14

[geography] There are no rivers in Saudi Arabia.

This is something I’ve just learnt in a pub! I’m still here – and the people at the table next to mine are still playing Trivial Pursuit.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Sat 13 Oct 2018, 18:30

[films] The actor Larry Parks, who portrayed the singer Al Jolson in films, was married to the actress Betty Garrett.

This is something I learned at Stephanie Barrows’s workshop at Woodford Spiritualist Church today.

Harald

Post  Harald Sun 14 Oct 2018, 18:22

[anatomy] In each hemisphere of the human brain, the frontal lobe is separated from the temporal lobe by the Sylvian fissure.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about ARE THERE ‘SPEECH CENTRES’? in Chapter 9. “Language and the brain”, of Linguistics: A Very Short Introduction by P. H. Matthews.
    Ian

Post  Ian Sun 11 Nov 2018, 13:40

[ancient history] The Roman emperor Septimus Severus was born in Libya.

This is something I’ve just learnt from answers to questions about THE ROMANS in the section “Raiders and Conquerors” of the Marks & Spencer Questions and Answers about British History.
    Vicky

Post  Vicky Sun 11 Nov 2018, 22:27

[etymology] “The word ‘paradise’ comes from an old Persian word for a pleasure garden or a deer park.”

As I learned today by reading about PLEASURE GARDEN in the chapter “Persia: home of the three wise men” in the section of facts about PEOPLE of the Reader’s Digest Book of Facts.
    Ian

Post  Ian Sun 18 Nov 2018, 20:03

[history] Robert the Bruce, celebrated for leading Scotland to victory against England at the Battle of Bannockburn (1314), had a brother called Edward, who was crowned king of Ireland.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading the answers to questions about THE INVASION OF IRELAND in the section “Raiders and Conquerors” of the Marks & Spencer Questions and Answers about British History.
    Sophie

Post  Sophie Thu 03 Jan 2019, 19:28

[mathematics] If a topological space X is a triangulable, in other words homeomorphic to a simplicial complex K, then the nth singular-homology group of X and the nth simplicial-homology group of K are isomorphic for every non-negative integer n.

This is something I learned today by reading Section 10.7, COMPARISON OF SINGULAR AND SIMPLICIAL HOMOLOGY, in Chapter 10, “Singular Homology”, of Essential Topology by Martin D. Crossley.
    Vicky

Post  Vicky Wed 16 Jan 2019, 09:13

[medicine] The word influenza is Italian for “influence”, so given to the medical condition because it was thought that the condition was due to the influence of astrological phenomena.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading the answers to questions about FEVERS in the section “Disaster and Disease” of the Marks & Spencer Questions and Answers about British History.
    Ian

Post  Ian Mon 21 Jan 2019, 07:14

[history] Windsor Castle was built during the reign of William I of England.

This is something I’ve just learnt from answers to questions about WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR in the section “Kings and Queens” of the Marks & Spencer Questions and Answers about British History.
    Harald

Post  Harald Tue 22 Jan 2019, 09:41

[medicine] It is not recommended that the Heimlich manoeuvre be performed on very young children.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about abdominal thrusts in the sixth edition of the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Vicky

Post  Vicky Sat 26 Jan 2019, 18:28

[literature] Gabriel García Márquez, author of Cien años de soledad (“One Hundred Years of Solitude”), was Colombian.

This is something I have just learnt by reading about the period AD 1950–1984 in the arts in the chapter “Key dates in world history” in the section of facts about PEOPLE of the Reader’s Digest Book of Facts.
    Ian

Post  Ian Sun 03 Feb 2019, 22:29

[history] The Constitution of the United States was ratified in 1788.

This is something I learned tonight at a pub quiz.
    Harald

Post  Harald Sun 17 Feb 2019, 11:34

[medicine] Some people have a habit of swallowing air. Surprised

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about aerophagia in the sixth edition of the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Fri 22 Feb 2019, 17:42

[biochemistry] The activity of the central nervous system can be depressed by the presence of ethanol in the body.

This is what I have just learnt by reading about alcohol in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary. At the time of the making of this post, I have not consumed any beverage containing ethyl alcohol for 7 weeks 3 days 17 hours 42 minutes.

Harald

Post  Harald Sun 03 Mar 2019, 09:40

[medical biology] A patient who has had a traumatic accident can lose the ability to remember events occurring both before (retrograde) and after (anterograde) the accident.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about amnesia in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content