S.P.E.A.K.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
S.P.E.A.K.

We are the Society for the Promotion of Education and Advancement of Knowledge.

+4
Vicky
Sophie
Vera
Harald
8 posters

What have we learnt today?

George
    George
    Admin

What have we learnt today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What have we learnt today?

Post  George Wed 06 Mar 2019, 21:14

[biochemistry] Glycogen can be enzymatically hydrolysed to yield glucose, maltose, and dextrins.

This is what I learned just now by reading about amylase in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary. I already know that ptyalin, which breaks down starch, is salivary amylase. And ethanol – which I have not consumed in any drink for 9 weeks 1 day 21 hours 14 minutes – is broken down by the liver.

Harald

Post  Harald Fri 08 Mar 2019, 07:02

[pathology] Some drugs which can cause virilization in women can also lead to damage to liver.

This is something I’ve just learnt by reading about anabolic in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Ian

Post  Ian Sun 17 Mar 2019, 12:41

[history] Admiral John Byng was executed after failing to save Minorca from the French during the Seven Years’ War.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about the major events and achievements of Duke of Devonshire, 5th Prime Minister (1756–7/Whig) in the chapter “Prime Ministers of Britain” in the section of facts about PEOPLE of the Reader’s Digest Book of Facts.
    Harald

Post  Harald Sun 17 Mar 2019, 12:45

[medicine] A patient with Anton’s syndrome is blind but firmly believes that he or she can see.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about anosognosia in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Ian

Post  Ian Sat 23 Mar 2019, 13:53

[history] The Treaty of Amiens was signed in March 1802.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about the major events and achievements of Henry Addington, 15th Prime Minister (1801–4/Tory) in the chapter “Prime Ministers of Britain” in the section of facts about PEOPLE of the Reader’s Digest Book of Facts.
    Harald

Post  Harald Sun 24 Mar 2019, 13:28

[anatomy] The valve that prevents regurgitation of blood from the aorta into the left ventricle is a semilunar valve.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about aortic valve in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Melissa

Post  Melissa Sat 30 Mar 2019, 14:48

[toxicology] The venom of Latrodectus mactans, a species of black-widow spider, can cause muscular pains, convulsions, nausea and paralysis.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about arachnidism in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary (which misspells the genus name “Lactrodectus”).
    Harald

Post  Harald Tue 16 Apr 2019, 21:10

[physiology] Noradrenaline is released by nerve endings of the sympathetic nervous system, whereas those of the parasympathetic nervous system release acetylcholine.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about autonomic nervous system in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Melissa

Post  Melissa Wed 17 Apr 2019, 19:17

[biology] Bacteria which can synthesize organic nutrients from inorganic substances are not parasitic.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about autotroph in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Harald

Post  Harald Fri 24 May 2019, 20:16

[anatomy] The lenticular nucleus consists of the putamen and the globus pallidus.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about basal ganglia in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Vicky

Post  Vicky Fri 24 May 2019, 21:50

[journalism] Some people cannot spell the word stubbornness.

What have we learnt today? - Page 2 51968072a1be58c46dc42f81dacac17e

As I learned this evening while reading a story in the Evening Standard.
    Harald

Post  Harald Tue 04 Jun 2019, 22:29

[anatomy] The thin delicate membrane at the base of an epithelium is composed of mucopolysaccharide and protein fibres.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about basement membrane in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary.
    Michael

Post  Michael Thu 04 Jul 2019, 15:27

[popular fiction] District 12, the original home of Katniss Everdeen in the nation of Panem of The Hunger Games universe, is also the home of Peeta Mallark.

As I’ve just learnt by playing Quiz Planet on Facebook.
    Harald

Post  Harald Thu 04 Jul 2019, 15:31

[anatomy] The calcium content of bones is what gives them their strength and whiteness.

As I’ve just learnt by reading about WHY IT IS POSSIBLE TO FIND VERY OLD SKELETONS in the chapter “The Why of Man” of Dean’s Tell Me the Answer.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Thu 25 Jul 2019, 15:52

[popular fiction] Uglies is a novel by Scott Westerfeld.

As I learned today while travelling on a London Overground train from Euston to Harrow & Wealdstone. I got on the train, and took a seat next to a good-looking girl (who might be an NHS nurse) so I could look at her legs during my journey. I ended up looking most of the time at the book she was reading.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content