S.P.E.A.K.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
S.P.E.A.K.

We are the Society for the Promotion of Education and Advancement of Knowledge.

2 posters

Confucianism

George
    George
    Admin

Confucianism Empty Confucianism

Post  George Wed 20 Jun 2018, 10:11

I have just read about Confucianism in The New Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought.

I gather that while Confucianism was suppressed in its own country of origin during Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution, it flourished elsewhere – especially Singapore. When I was in school there in the 1980s, some elements of Confucianism were even thought in classes, informally if not formally.

The Fontana Dictionary describes Confucianism as a philosophy, but in Singapore back then some people were so sincere about it that it was treated like a religion. I suppose it is the element of ancestor veneration in Confucianism that particularly appeals to the notions of filial piety in which many Singaporeans were inculcated. Confucius himself advocted ancestor worship. I suppose the reason for this is as follows: our ancestors brought us into this world; without our ancestors we would not be here today; therefore it is right that we should worship them. Of course, as a Spiritualist myself, I have a different opinion on that matter (as I am sure victims of sexual abuse by their parents would about filial piety).

Vera

Confucianism Empty Re: Confucianism

Post  Vera Tue 26 Jun 2018, 16:46

Confucius is believed to have said:

己所不欲,勿施於人。

“What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others.” (Wikipedia.) This is the inverse of what Jesus said according to Luke 6:31:

And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 02:29