S.P.E.A.K.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
S.P.E.A.K.

We are the Society for the Promotion of Education and Advancement of Knowledge.

5 posters

Luke 8:14

George
    George
    Admin

Luke 8:14 Empty Luke 8:14

Post  George Fri 20 Apr 2018, 17:31

4 ¶ And when much people were gathered together, and were come to him out of every city, he spake by a parable:

5 A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.

6 And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture.

7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it.

8 And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

9 And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be?

10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

I myself am like the seeds that fell among thorns – with the exception that I have no riches or pleasures, just cares. I would so much like to devote my life to Spiritualism, but my problems in this life are making such a resolution almost impossible to fulfil.

Vera

Luke 8:14 Empty Re: Luke 8:14

Post  Vera Sat 21 Apr 2018, 18:20

We all have problems in life, George. That is what we are here for: to have problems and learn from them. Without the lessons that life’s problems provide, there would be no spiritual progress.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Sat 21 Apr 2018, 19:30

I have enjoyed a wonderful Day with Spirit at Woodford Spiritualist Church today. I had a reading from Stephanie Barrows – in which I mentioned Luke 8:14 to her – and attended workshops by Brenda Hodgson, Susan Griffiths and Stephanie herself.

Vera

Post  Vera Thu 31 May 2018, 00:54

You can always ask your spirit guides for help.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
    —Matthew 7:7.

Ask, and it shall be given you – just ask. Ask, but DO NOT DEMAND! Just ask.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Thu 31 May 2018, 16:59

Vera wrote:Ask, and it shall be given you – just ask. Ask, but DO NOT DEMAND! Just ask.

This beautifully illustrates the lexical subtlety of the word just as an adverb. On the one hand, it can mean “you need only ask”; on the other, it can mean “you must only ask”. One is an encouragement to the timid to do something, the other a warning to the audacious not to overstep some mark.

Vera

Post  Vera Fri 01 Jun 2018, 16:03

Instead of saying “I want”, say: “I would like”. This will give you time to think, and ask yourself: “Is that something I really would like?”
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Tue 31 Jul 2018, 14:32

For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: ….

—Hosea 8:7

And that is what I have done.

Harald

Post  Harald Tue 31 Jul 2018, 14:48

Also, it looks like you’ve sown not only the seeds that fell by the thorns but also the very thorns themselves!

In the episode “Knits & Knots” of QI, it is pointed out that some plant structures we usually think of as thorns are not thorns, technically speaking, but rather prickles. They are not modified stems, but rather epidermal outgrowths.
    Vicky

Post  Vicky Tue 31 Jul 2018, 14:55

And in the episode “I-Spy”, we meet the alphabetic character thorn (þ). It was used in Old English, and still is in modern Icelandic.
    Michael

Post  Michael Tue 31 Jul 2018, 16:52

So when the band Poison sang, “Every rose has its thorn,” they were wrong. It should have been: “Every rose has its prickles.”
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Tue 31 Jul 2018, 17:24

Harald wrote:Also, it looks like you’ve sown not only the seeds that fell by the thorns but also the very thorns themselves!

Correction: I did not sow the thorns but their seeds. Still, yeah: I am reaping the thorns.

Vera

Post  Vera Tue 31 Jul 2018, 17:39

There is a difference between the same scrape you were in last time and the one you’re having now. Last time, you did not directly sow the wind or thorn-seeds. You just ran foul of someone with an extremely difficult personality (meaning: not very much different from yourself). But this time, you are directly reaping the consequences of your deliberate actions. It is now therefore much harder for you to expect the spirit world to sort out your problems if you yourself don’t lift a finger to do something about them.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Tue 31 Jul 2018, 17:41

Guess what. With some luck or other, I may be back to being a mauvaise foi sandwich salesman yet again as soon as tomorrow! Spirit does move in mysterious ways.

Vera

Post  Vera Tue 31 Jul 2018, 17:48

With the power of positive thinking, you can turn mauvaise foi into bonne foi any time!
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Tue 31 Jul 2018, 17:51

If only I had done various things in my life much sooner. If only. Sigh. Only yesterday, I was told that I could be very stubborn.

Vera

Post  Vera Tue 31 Jul 2018, 17:54

Don’t worry, George. Stubbornness is just an occupational hazard of being a Libran.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content