S.P.E.A.K.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
S.P.E.A.K.

We are the Society for the Promotion of Education and Advancement of Knowledge.

4 posters

Asperger’s syndrome

George
    George
    Admin

Asperger’s syndrome Empty Asperger’s syndrome

Post  George Sat 23 Jun 2018, 11:52

I have thought myself to suffer from this mild form of autism ever since 2006. Now, having read about it in the Oxford Concise Colour Medical Dictionary, I remain as convinced as ever.

The symptoms listed in the dictionary speak for themselves.

… socially aloof, stilted and pedantic styles of speech, and an excessive preoccupation with a very specialized interest (such as timetables) …

Is not that just me? Do I not favour stilted and pedantic styles of speech? Am I not socially aloof? And, unable to interact with real people, I interact with virtual personages on the Internet – and then what? Do I not edit others’ posts without their permission in forums where I have moderator powers, not caring how they would feel about it? If someone makes a gaffe in a post, do I not spread it all over the Web, not caring how the person making the gaffe would feel if he or she noticed what I had done? Is not he or she a stilted and pedantic expression for “they”? And, as for specialized interests, did not Jeff Phillips point out at about this time last year that I so expect things to be perfect for me all the time that I get not a little upset when the slightest thing is out of place?

The only thing the dictionary has got wrong is that people with Asperger’s syndrome usually have low-average intelligence. Mine is definitely toweringly higher than average.

Harald

Asperger’s syndrome Empty Re: Asperger’s syndrome

Post  Harald Wed 27 Jun 2018, 10:56

Named after Hans Asperger (1906–80), Austrian physician.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Wed 27 Jun 2018, 11:01

Your emotion may be on show over coming days, and you might need to decide if this is a good thing. If it helps you accomplish something, then there is no harm in letting others know how you feel. But self-restraint might be a good thing.

My horoscope in today’s Metro (Wednesday 27 June 2018).
    Vera

Post  Vera Wed 27 Jun 2018, 17:14

If you’re feeling uneasy, it’s no surprise. The coming Full Moon accents the structure of your life and is triggering both changes in circumstances and axieties about them. But this is just part of a transition.

Your horoscope in today’s Evening Standard (Wednesday 27 June 2018).
    Michael

Post  Michael Sat 30 Jun 2018, 16:45

Thursday 28 June 2018
    Niall Aslam reveals real reason for leaving Love Island after revealing he has Asperger syndrome

Love Island’s Niall Aslam has given his reasons [for] leaving the villa, revealing he has Asperger syndrome.

Despite being a fan favourite, Niall made an early exit from the ITV2 reality series this year when it was announced he had left “for personal reasons”.

Taking to Instagram for the first time since his departure two weeks ago, Niall opened up about why it was he had to leave.

TV Guide
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Tue 03 Jul 2018, 17:08

This is my horoscope in today’s Metro (Tuesday 3 July 2018):
    An encounter could see you making friends with someone who seems to be on your wavelength. This person may be someone who influences the direction of your future. It might be a cause they are involved in or an idea they share with you.

I could have a friend? Wow.
    Michael

Post  Michael Wed 04 Jul 2018, 11:36

“Always look on the bright side of life,” sing Monty Python.

You can be something of a social butterfly, loving every moment. At the same time, one special encounter could have a fated quality about it and nurturing it might be important for the future.

Your horoscope in today’s Metro (Wednesday 4 July 2018).
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Wed 26 Sep 2018, 17:53

I have just read the story entitled “Healthy weight, healthy mind to balance motions” in the Evening Standard.

“PEOPLE who are obese or underweight are less in touch with their emotions than those at a healthy weight, London academics claimed today,” writes Ross Lydall, the paper’s health editor.

The condition in which one has “difficulty identifying and expressing emotions” is called alexithymia. Lydall says that it “is a key factor in autism, which shares several genetic causes with obesity”.

I myself have never had any problems with obesity; on the contrary, I used to be underweight (and much ashamed of myself for being so). And I was autistic. But as my BMI improved, so, in parallel fashion, did my ability to recognize, understand and describe emotions.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 18:31