S.P.E.A.K.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
S.P.E.A.K.

We are the Society for the Promotion of Education and Advancement of Knowledge.

4 posters

Key signatures with five or more sharps or flats

George
    George
    Admin

Key signatures with five or more sharps or flats Empty Key signatures with five or more sharps or flats

Post  George Wed 20 Dec 2017, 18:29

A moment ago, I enjoyed listening to Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s Marche slave, Op. 31 (the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan) on my laptop. The piece is usually known by its French title; in English it might well be called Slavonic March in B-flat minor.

The key of B-flat minor has five flats. Someone who is just beginning to learn to read music may well find keys containing lots of sharps or flats rather daunting. I think I am correct in saying that the composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart himself did not write a single work in a key with more than four sharps or flats.

The major keys with five or more sharps/flats are B major, D-flat major, F-sharp major and G-flat major. The keys of C-sharp major and C-flat major are also theoretically possible, but are extremely rarely (if ever) used in practice. For example, Frédéric Chopin’s Fantaisie-impromptu, which is in C-sharp minor, has a middle section that ought to be in the tonic major – except that it is in D-flat major instead. The four sharps of the minor key are cancelled and replaced not by seven sharps but by five flats for the major key.

The minor keys with five or more sharps/flats are G-sharp minor, B-flat minor, D-sharp minor and E-flat minor. Again there are also A-sharp minor and A-flat minor, which exist in theory but are almost never used.

Sylvia

Key signatures with five or more sharps or flats Empty Re: Key signatures with five or more sharps or flats

Post  Sylvia Fri 22 Dec 2017, 08:25

A moment ago, a rendition by pianist Peter Hill of J. S. Bach’s Prelude and Fugue in B-flat minor, BWV 891 (№ 22 in Book II of The Well-tempered Clavier) was played in “Breakfast” on BBC Radio 3 (presented by Petroc Tralawny).
    George
    George
    Admin

Key signatures with five or more sharps or flats Empty Re: Key signatures with five or more sharps or flats

Post  George Fri 22 Dec 2017, 08:28

One will be able to listen to the Prelude and Fugue in B major, BWV 892 (№ 23 in Book II of The Well-tempered Clavier) tomorrow.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Fri 22 Dec 2017, 08:34

Yesterday, I enjoyed listening to a waltz in D-flat major by Frédéric Chopin on Radio 3, between “Breakfast” with Petroc Trelawny and “Essential Classics” with Suzy Klein. No, not the Minute Waltz, but a posthumous one, Op. 70 № 3, performed by Arthur Rubinstein.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Fri 22 Dec 2017, 09:02

A little dance? (6,5)

Answer: MINUTE WALTZ.

The Valse du petit chien – better known in English as the “Minute Waltz” – Op. 64 № 1, is also in D-flat major.

Camille Bourniquel, one of Chopin’s biographers, reminds the reader that Chopin got the inspiration for this waltz as he was watching a small dog chase its tail, which prompted the composer to name the piece Valse du petit chien, meaning “The Little Dog Waltz”.

Wikipedia.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Mon 08 Jan 2018, 07:50

An étude in B-flat minor by Alexander Scriabin has just been played on “Breakfast” with Petroc Trelawny; the pianist is Alexis Weissenberg, who died on this day (January 8) six years ago.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Mon 08 Jan 2018, 13:35

Joseph Haydn’s String Quartet in D major, Op. 76 № 5 (Hob. III:79), to which I have just enjoyed listening (performed by the Kuijken String Quartet) on my laptop, has a slow movement in F-sharp major!

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:02

Well-known works in F-sharp major include Ludwig van Beethoven’s Piano Sonata № 24, Op. 78, and Frédéric Chopin’s Barcarolle, Op. 60.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:12

A moment ago, I enjoyed listening to Haydn’s String Quartet in F major, Op. 77 № 2 (Hob. III:82), played by the Quatuor Mosaïques, on my laptop – one of his mature quartets, in which the minuet & trio movement precedes the slow one. The minuet is the home key – but the trio is in D-flat major! Although I cannot distinguish absolute pitch by ear, I knew there was something interesting afoot when I heard a bridge passage linking the end of the trio to the minuet reprise – something Haydn also used in his Symphonies № 99 and № 104, in which the trio is in a key somewhat remote from that of the minuet. So I looked up the score at IMSLP – et voilà.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Fri 26 Jan 2018, 04:45

Chopin’s Mazurkas, Op. 33 (Yulianna Avdeeva on piano) are now being played in “Through the Night” with Jonathan Swain on Radio 3. № 1 (of 4) in the set is in the rare key of G-sharp minor!
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Tue 06 Feb 2018, 04:57

Antonín Dvořák’s Nocturne in B major for string orchestra, Op. 40, was played a moment ago in “Through the Night” with John Shea, Jan Stanienda conducting the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Wed 07 Feb 2018, 04:33

A moment ago, pianist Rian de Waal played Franz Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody № 6 in D-flat major in “Through the Night” with John Shea.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Mon 19 Feb 2018, 02:25

I have just enjoyed listening in “Through the Night” with Catriona Young to Dmitri Shostakovich’s 24 Preludes, Op. 34 (Igor Levit on piano). Of these, № 11 is in B major, № 12 is in G-sharp minor, № 13 is in F-sharp major, № 14 is in E-flat minor, № 15 is in D-flat major, and № 16 is in B-flat minor.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Fri 09 Mar 2018, 14:34

At the moment, one can enjoy listening to Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto № 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23, in “Afternoon Concert” with Kate Molleson.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Mon 12 Mar 2018, 14:42

At the moment, one can hear Beethoven’s Piano Concerto № 5 in E-flat major, Op. 73 (Louis Schwitzgebel on piano with the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Ben Gernon) in “Afternoon Concert” with Kate Molleson. Although the main key is E flat, the slow movement is in B major.

Ian

Post  Ian Sat 24 Mar 2018, 02:09

Shostakovich’s Symphony № 13 in B-flat minor can be heard on BBC Radio 3 right now. This work includes settings of poems by Yevgeny Yevtushenko concerning events in 1941 at Babi Yar, a ravine in Kiev, Ukraine, where a massacre of Soviet Jews was carried out by the invading Nazis.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Wed 16 May 2018, 08:18

Nikolai Lugansky played Sergei Rachmaninoff’s Moment Musical № 6 in C major in “Essential Classics” with Suzy Klein a moment ago. This is the last piece of the work entitled Six moments musicaux, Op. 16 – of which the first piece is in B-flat minor, the second in E-flat minor, and the fifth in D-flat major. I would have loved to listen to the whole work, not just one movement from it.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Mon 21 May 2018, 03:24

Chopin’s Mazurka in B-flat minor, Op. 24 № 4, was played a moment ago in “Through the Night” with Jonathan Swain by Ignacy Jan Paderewski in a 1906 recording.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Thu 24 May 2018, 19:50

Daniele is now conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra in Johannes Brahms’s Symphony № 2 in D major, Op. 73, the concert being broadcast live from the Royal Festival Hall in “Radio 3 in Concert” with Martin Handley. The slow movement of this work is in B major.

Michael

Post  Michael Sun 27 May 2018, 21:52

Sylvia wrote:At the moment, one can enjoy listening to Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto № 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23, in “Afternoon Concert” with Kate Molleson.
    Brief excerpts from this work are featured in Crooked House (2017), a film adaptation of Agatha Christie’s novel of the same name. I saw it on Channel 5 a moment ago.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Fri 29 Jun 2018, 11:51

A moment ago, I listened to Liszt’s Transcendental Études on FirstPublicChannel’s YouTube video – all twelve of them, played by Claudio Arrau on piano. The last two pieces are in D-flat major and B-flat minor respectively.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Fri 29 Jun 2018, 15:55

Another transcendentally difficult piece by Liszt, the third in the S. 141 set, nicknamed “La campanella” and based on the finale of Niccolò Paganini’s Second Violin Concerto, is in G-sharp minor. Originally (in the S. 140 set) it was in A-flat minor!
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Sat 30 Jun 2018, 21:48

A moment ago, I listened to Rachmaninoff’s Morceaux de fantaisie, Op. 3, on Sergei Rachmaninoff Music’s YouTube video – five pieces, played by Vladimir Ashkenazy on piano. The first and last pieces are in E-flat minor and B-flat minor respectively.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Sun 29 Jul 2018, 20:11

I have just listened to the complete nocturnes of Chopin (played by Brigitte Engerer) on YouTube. Of the twenty-one pieces, six have key signatures with five or more sharps or flats:

• Op. 9 № 1 in B-flat minor,
      • Op. 9 № 3 in B major,
      • Op. 15 № 2 in F-sharp major,
      • Op. 27 № 2 in D-flat major,
      • Op. 32 № 1 in B major,
      • Op. 62 № 1 in B major.

George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Mon 27 Aug 2018, 08:02

A moment ago, I enjoyed listening to Dvořák’s Scherzo capriccioso, Op. 66 (the Oslo Philharmonic conducted by Mariss Jansons) in “Breakfast” with Georgia Mann. This charming work is in the key of D-flat major.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Sat 29 Sep 2018, 07:54

I am at the moment reading about SYMPHONY NO. 39 IN E FLAT MAJOR (K. 543) in Chapter 3, “Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–1791)”, by Eric Blom of an old book, The Symphony, edited by Ralph Hill.
    George wrote:

I think I am correct in saying that the composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart himself did not write a single work in a key with more than four sharps or flats.

Even works or parts of works by Mozart with exactly four sharps or flats are thin on the ground – but the slow movement of his antepenultimate symphony is in A-flat major, a key with four flats. This symphony is one which grows on me: the more I listen to it, the more I love it.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Sat 29 Sep 2018, 08:11

The opening of that slow movement has the most charming of simplicities to it. It consists of two phrases, played principally by the first violins. Both phrases end with the note E flat. But whereas the first one is on an imperfect cadence, the second is on a perfect cadence, the music having modulated to E-flat major! Simple things like this captivate me no end.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Sat 29 Sep 2018, 09:45

And now I am reading about SYMPHONY NO. 40 IN G MINOR (K. 550). According to Blom, the key of G minor
    … may be said to be Mozart’s vehicle for the most pathetic music, while D minor is that for the most dramatic and C minor for the most sombre, taking things generally.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Mon 12 Nov 2018, 17:52

In the trio of Schubert’s Symphony № 4 in C minor, D. 417, entitled Tragisch (“Tragic”) by the composer himself, the music starts in E-flat major – and modulates to C-flat major! There is no change of key signature; flats are simply added as necessary.

The scoring in the trio is for two flutes, two oboes, two clarinets (in B♭), bassoon I, and strings; bassoon II, horns, trumpets and timpani are silent. I was reading about this symphony in Chapter 5, “Franz Schubert (1797–1828)”, by William McNaught in The Symphony, edited by Ralph Hill, the other day, but did not think to mention this nugget of a musical gem in this thread then.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Mon 07 Jan 2019, 05:34

Yesterday I read about SYMPHONY NO. 3 IN C MAJOR in Chapter 18, “Jean Sibelius (1865–[1957])”, by Julian Herbage in that book edited by Ralph Hill.

I’d already known that the work was dedicated to the composer’s English friend Granville Bantock. Now I also know that the second movement of this work is in G-sharp minor.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Thu 10 Jan 2019, 19:05

I have just read about SYMPHONY NO. 5 IN E FLAT MAJOR in that chapter of the book. Now I know that the recapitulation of the finale of this symphony begins in G-flat major!

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Thu 17 Jan 2019, 18:35

And now I have just read about SYMPHONY NO. 3 IN A MINOR in Chapter 20, “Sergei Rachmaninov (1873–1943)”, by Robin Hull.

The second movement of this work is in C-sharp major! There is no sharp or flat in the key signature (i.e. it is that of C major / A minor) but a sharp is added to just about every note in the score.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Sun 31 Mar 2019, 09:28

The slow movement of Edvard Grieg’s Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 16, is in D-flat major. Sarah Walker is at the moment presenting “Sunday Morning” live from Sage Gateshead.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Mon 13 May 2019, 12:36

Brahms’s Piano Trio № 1 in B major, Op. 8 (the Gould Piano Trio) in “Lunchtime Concert”, presented by Fiona Talkington live from the Wigmore Hall, London.
    George
    George
    Admin

Post  George Fri 07 Jun 2019, 20:51

Dvořák: Symphony № 9 in E minor, Op. 95 (the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Rory Macdonald) in “Radio 3 in Concert” with Tom Redmond live from King George’s Hall, Blackburn. The slow movement of this work begins in E major but quickly modulates to D-flat major, in which key the celebrated pentatonic theme is delivered by the cor anglais.
    Sylvia

Post  Sylvia Fri 28 Jun 2019, 11:56

Chopin: Berceuse in D-flat major, Op. 57 (Ivan Moravec on piano) in “Composer of the Week” with Donald McLeod.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 20:10