S.P.E.A.K.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
S.P.E.A.K.

We are the Society for the Promotion of Education and Advancement of Knowledge.

Salmon

George
    George
    Admin

Salmon Empty Salmon

Post  George Tue 08 Jan 2019, 15:00

This morning, I read about HOW THE SALMON PASSES WATERFALLS in the chapter “The How of Animals” of Dean’s Tell Me the Answer. Now I know that Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus species) die soon after spawning, but Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) can live to spawn again.

And I have a theory about why salmon swim upstream through hazardous obstacles to reach their spawning grounds. They must be driven to do so by the same forces that drive migrants to cross the English Channel.

Migrants, migrants … why do they want to come to Britain? To look for a better life? Yeah, by committing crime, as some of them do. And I am not making this up – in 2011, when I was homeless for a time, I was with some Polish migrants in Walthamstow, some of whom were opportunistic thieves. I suppose the country they came from was so poor they found it economically impossible to make a living out of committing crime back there – so they came to do it here instead.

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 04:58