S.P.E.A.K.

We are the Society for the Promotion of Education and Advancement of Knowledge.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

George
    Admin

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Post  George on Thu 10 May 2018, 11:39

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–91) was born in Salzburg, Austria – and was baptized as Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart.

This is something I first learned in 1984 and remembered ever since. Therefore I knew something Stephen Fry did not in the Christmas episode of Series B of QI.

Sylvia

Re: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Post  Sylvia on Thu 10 May 2018, 12:45

A moment ago, I enjoyed listening to the Amatis Piano Trio perform Mozart’s Piano Trio in B-flat major, KV 502, in “Lunchtime Concert” with Clemency Burton-Hill on BBC Radio 3.
    George
    Admin

Post  George on Thu 10 May 2018, 13:03

Clemmie Burton-Hill! I love her very much. Before becoming a Radio 3 presenter, she was an actress – who even appeared in an episode of Midsomer Murders! It was the episode “Dead in the Water” – in which the five-time Olympic-gold winner Sir Steve Redgrave had a cameo appearance!

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia on Fri 25 May 2018, 13:02

A moment ago, clarinettist Michael Collins and the Heath Quartet performed Johannes Brahms’s Clarinet Quintet in B minor, Op. 115, in “Lunchtime Concert” with Fiona Talkington.

This work is not as well known as Mozart’s Clarinet Quintet in A major, KV 581.
    George
    Admin

Post  George on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 12:15

I am now listening to the Minguet Quartet perform the String Quartet № 14 in G major, KV 387, in “Lunchtime Concert”. The presenter Sarah Walker says this work is nicknamed “Spring” – but I have to say that though I have heard this work plenty of times this is the first time that I have heard this nickname associated with it.

I do know that Ludwig van Beethoven has a written a violin sonata nicknamed “Spring”, and that both Robert Schumann and Benjamin Britten have written symphonies called “Spring”.

Sylvia

Post  Sylvia on Fri 29 Jun 2018, 12:15

The Tetzlaff Quartet are now playing String Quartet № 16 in E-flat major, KV 428, in “Lunchtime Concert” with Sarah Walker.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 16:01